Creating a business profile on Google+ is easy. Like Facebook and Twitter, anyone can join Google+ for free and invite friends and colleagues as well as post photos and link to favorite blogs and articles and more. Google+ is also a powerful tool for engaging customers and clients. A well-optimized Google+ page will frequently rank among the top search results for your business or brand name and Google+ should be an important element of your company’s online reputation management strategy.
There are many ways to promote your business online and it can be daunting to figure out which social network is right for your company, but you can’t afford to ignore Google+ for business. Google + has more than 100 million users and growing. Although it is still in its infancy, it has the backing of the most popular search engine in the world.
To learn more about Google+ for business, we’ve taken the time to break it down into 5 simple tips:
- Build it like a business site – Like Facebook and Twitter, it is important to differentiate your personal profile from your business profile. Make sure photos, postings, etc. are more professional and in line with your business. Google says that Google+ helps you develop “deeper relationships with customers” by sharing your thoughts and links. Given that, take the time to really decide what your clients and customers really want to know about your business.
- Create an Editorial Calendar – On Google+ you can share with customers or prospects. Given all the opportunities on Google+ you may want to brainstorm with your team and create an editorial calendar to provide more dynamic and personal ways to showcase your business.
- Manage Your Circles – The heart of Google+ are the circles – you can create circles such as friends, colleagues, family, customers and more. You can invite anyone to these circles and communicate different messaging for each group. You might want to choose a creative name for circles such as “VIP Customers” for your most important accounts.
- Google+ Badge – You can let your customers know you are on Google+ by placing a Google+ Badge on your business website. It’s fairly easy to do (basically cutting and pasting some code onto your website – you don’t need a developer.)
- Power of +1 – Nothing is more powerful than “word of mouth.” Businesses can flourish or flounder based on word of mouth or even reviews on such sites as on Yelp. Google+ knows this and allows customers and colleagues “recommend” your business with a +1 button. Encourage your friends, family and customers to recommend your business – it could be quite powerful. Go to Get the +1 button and encourage people to use it to help promote you.